Google hosted ‘Google for India’ event today at Delhi. Google for India an annual event where a number of announcements were made that aimed at the Indian market. As part of its renewed focus on India, Google is renaming its Tez app to Google Pay, the company’s digital payments app is currently being used by over 1.2 lakh small businesses. Tez app was launched by Google in September 2017.
To reach out to more users, Google Assistant will now support the Marathi language, in addition to Hindi and English. In addition, seven additional languages will be supported to the Assistant in the coming months.
Google Maps is getting a number of new features that are designed for the Indian market. For instance, Google Maps Go is now getting turn-by-turn navigation feature.
We are bringing you some of the key highlights of the event.
- As expected, Google’s Tez has been renamed to ‘Google Pay’. Google claims its Tez app has over 20 million monthly active users, and about 750 million transactions have been made so far. By Diwali, users in India will be able to use Google Play in over 150,000 retail locations in the Country.
- Samsung’s first ‘Android Go’s Smartphone is the Galaxy J2 Core. This is the first Android Go edition Smartphone from Samsung. Google says 400 plus Android Go edition Smartphone to be launched later this year.
- Google Assistant to be available in Marathi. Google Assistant will support 7 more Indian languages soon.
- Google Go is getting two brand new features: Bilingual news feed and audio playback of chosen articles. The latter feature supports multiple languages including Hindi, English, Marathi, Malayalam, among others.
- Google has announced something called ‘Project Navlekha’, which according to the company will help publishers to take content online. Project Navlekha will help digitize 135,000 Indian publishers.
- Over 270 percent growth in voice searches in India, claims Google. The software giant expects India language users to reach 500 million in the next 2 years